Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Whale Sharks in Oslob, Cebu

Welcome to my first Wandering Wednesday post folks!!! :)) So excited to be sharing with you my first travel entry...although I'm not quite sure if this is going to last considering the fact that I haven't really traveled that much over the past few months. To add to that ball of a mess, I don't have pending plans either! Hahah!

Friends, blogger readers and uhm, random strangers who stumbled upon this blog for some weird reasons, let me present to you a memorable trip during one of the hottest and most depressing summer seasons of my life. Okay, I may only have 3 readers in total. Pardon the exaggeration.

Anyhoo, I have written about this in preview last June. When news came out early this year about visible whale sharks in Oslob, the town has immediately turned itself into a tourist spot. 


Oslob is in the southern part of Cebu, which is actually just less than an hour of travel from Sibulan via pumpboat or fastcraft and bus. They hold their 10-minute orientation at Brgy Tan-awan, Oslob where former fisherfolks turned tour guides await.



By the way, whale-watching is only open in public from 6am-1pm so it's ideal to be up and early at dawn to fully enjoy this trip.



The guides usually let you stay afloat for 30 minutes but if you're lucky, you may even swim the giants for more than an hour! Thank God Kuya Yong's a media person. Hahah. I think we saw at least 4 whale sharks around the area. And just by looking at the pictures, it's evident that we were super close to the giants! 


It was a surreal moment to see them so up-close. It was overwhelming but I guess we got the hang of it right away. Who knows when these precious things' going to last, right? I was lucky enough to marvel at them while they still exist. ONE FOR THE BOOKS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment