Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Wakey! Wakey! (Cebu Memories)


Not many people know this about me but I have "Fave Singer Phases". Well, maybe everyone has this but I am hardcore when it comes to this one. Whenever I hear a song or see a singer on TV, I could remember each and every special memory I have about it - the first time I heard it, what I was doing, where it was first played and who I was with.

Let us take for example Adele. I learned about her from Thia Megia's audition piece in AI last season. I came home for the weekend (I was still working in Cebu then) and caught up with the latest episode with my family. She did a Chasing Pavements number and I googled the lyrics the first time I heard it. The rest, as they say, is history. We also have Death Cab for Cutie, which I decided to check after I learned that Zooey Deschanel and Ben Gibbard called their marriage quits. It was a sad day, but at least I've discovered some good music!


One of the longest may be Wakey! Wakey! (weird name I know) which I learned about from One Tree Hill. Actually, I've found some great artists from OTH, but this has got to be the most memorable because this has been present all throughout my Cebu life.

Ahh. My Cebu life! (I always utter that line with a smile)

Wakey Wakey was such a star (in my life at least) for a couple of months. I remember assigning ring tones to frequent callers so I'd know from afar who was calling based on the Wakey Wakey song playing. And when I didn't have my TV yet, all I did was lie down on my bed and memorize all the band's songs present in my playlist! I had a workmate who was a self-proclaimed RNB-lover but went head over heels the first time he heard the songs. It was like a 180 degree turn for him, but he didn't mind at all.

So you see, me and Wakey Wakey...we're tight! Here are my favorite songs:

Title: Dance So Good
This was the ultimate song to blame. When I first heard it on OTH, it was love right away. This is where the addiction started.


Title: Light Outside
This was my trusty alarm clock for months. I've always loved waking up to this song. It made me stay positive every single day. 


Title: Almost Everything
This one's pretty special too. I had this song assigned to Keyk4, one of my best friends. Whenever she calls me, I always had this easy feeling. This song is so good, it brought me to tears so many times. 



I've decided to share this with you because this band and its music is just so beautiful to ignore. And it's not just about the good music, it's about how I got through a new place and stayed inspired and positive with good music. I didn't really know it was possible. But it was. And it still is.


No comments:

Post a Comment