Sunday, February 21, 2016

Thoughts on the Presidential Debate

A few hours ago, we watched the first presidential debate on TV with the family and some online friends. Since I got in pretty late because I came from mass, I had to watch the first part online to witness the whole political battle.



Here are my thoughts on each candidate:

1. Mar Roxas - aka the Always Almost First Choice

This guy who has the genes of a former president (Manuel Roxas) and a wealthy clan (the Aranetas) was supposedly the front runner for the 2010 presidential elections if not for the dramatic series of events that blanketed the whole country courtesy of former President Cory Aquino's death. He has been playing second fiddle to our president after that and poor Mar's ego has never recovered ever since.

Anyway, I have come to realise that debates aren't his strong suit. He had his statistics going the entire time as proof of his so called expertise but I wasn't really convinced that those numbers are real. And don't get me started with his closing statement. It felt fake and a little bit demeaning with his dramatic "This is me I want you to be like me" line. Ugh. 

Judgment: My mother and some other older folks will vote for him because he had the least "issues" among the other candidates. Not keen on voting for him but open for developments.

2. Rody Duterte - the Feisty Bisaya

Has served as Davao City mayor for a very very long time that you almost believe the city has another type of government or something. I've always known Davao as run by a Duterte since as far as my mind can remember. Turns out, there's a political dynasty going on in that place. But mainly because the people believe in them. He had a very impressive streak in all his term and that's why many Filipinos believe he is the solution to the country's problems.

He was the most entertaining to watch. With his quick wit and kanto-style humour, he is the type of uncle who comes into family gatherings drunk going straight to the videoke machine singing his heart out. That's when you know the party has already started. This debate was his forte. He had the most charismatic and unforgettable answers and rebuttals. Straight to the point with a touch of playfulness.

Judgment: I still need some convincing but he would be a good choice in a perfect world (or country).

3. Miriam Santiago - the overachiever-every-single-person-wants-to-become

To put it simply, Miriam is the most qualified presidentiable in this list. No arguments needed. KTNXBYE

However, I was a little bit let down in this debate. She was brilliant with her answers as usual but perhaps a little too uptight for the Miriam we always knew. She used to be a funny public speaker but I guess all her meds got in the way. I seriously hope she does better and pulls through all the upcoming debates. Also, I wish we had the younger and healthier Miriam in this year's election. It would all make a difference. 

Judgment: Huhuhuhuhuh I wanna vote for her but she might die and not finish her term 

4. Grace Poe - the dark horse everyone always underestimates

The only (adopted) daughter of the action king Fernando Poe Jr. Currently facing some citizenship and eligibility issues but is not fazed and powering through every province she campaigns at. She is the silent, quasi-nerdy classmate you always love to hate because she's pretty and intelligent. 

Si Ate Girl channeling Amor Powers in her all-white ensemble! Choz! Seriously though, she won that debate hands down in my opinion. In a room where everyone looked very pissed off and wanting to eat each other alive, she was the calm amidst the storm. She had the most articulate and sensible answers. Very grace under pressure / Ms Universe moment! She was honest about her experience (or lack thereof) but came out the most prepared among all the candidates. Hashtag public-speaking goals! Lol

Judgment: I love her! Not sure if I'm voting for her but I love her!

5. Jejomar Binay - the Jej (that's it)

In his own made-up universe, he made Makati rich and progressive. Jejejejejejejejeje

So the debate... Hhmm...  All I know is that Twitter had a drinking game every time he says Makati and decisive. Whether or not his statements made sense, he still didn't convince any human being in this planet. Also, I really hope we don't get hung over tomorrow. It's Monday after all.

Judgment: NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS WILL I ATTEMPT TO LOOK FOR HIS NAME IN MY BALLOT


No comments:

Post a Comment